Mafiaaaah
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum where we can play mafia.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Cult rules

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ScreamingHawk
Potion
ScreamingHawk

Dreams of : your mum

Cult rules Empty
PostSubject: Cult rules   Cult rules EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 11:47 am

Post in all the forums!

Ok so I'm keen to mod another game and I've had some thoughts as to what I should do for them. I'll make sure night stories are informative as the last one I modded lacked any kind of anything bc they were not.
Would love to do a cult type game.

Cult is like a mafia except instead of performing kills they 'recruit' the target into the cult.

(WALL OF TEXT, PLEASE ONLY READ IF ACTUALLY INTERESTED)

I couldn't sleep last night so this is what I was thinking about... Yeah, I'm cool. I know.

Problem with this is basically, if town kills a cult member each day and cult gains a member each night then cult will eventually get majority either by town screwing up or enough time passing. Ways around this:
  • When cult leader is dead the cult no longer grows, and then the game is purely on lynches (or other night actions). Good but make for a boring game.
  • People can decline requests to join cult - leads to noone joining cult. Can't really fix that problem.
  • Multiple cults, problem come when all town in converted as the larger cult instantly has majority every day phase and so wins (this is fine but will happen really quickly due to the number of conversions each night). This is also a problem for town because they will lose majority fairly early (which is really there own advantage)

I like the idea of the last one. Multiple cult groups. Because all the problems can be solved, and it's a wee bit more exciting.
For the sake of arguments I've assumed the set up is something like (cult leader x 2, town (PR (power role) or otherwise) x7)

To balance the fast conversion problem, I have considered allowing cults to 'steal' members from other cults. This will be a great idea as cult will try to steal each others members rather than town members, thus keeping town as town. (Town will still be underpowered but see below). This will also lead to some hilarity as the old cult will know that the old member is now in the new cult but can't outright say as then they must only know this by being in the other cult (trolololol). Another spin off problem is that the converted member knows all members of both cults. Solution: don't give away who the leader is of your cult, then member base is near useless (with one lynch per day and not being able to outright say x is cult).
Another problem is that you may be the cult leader and poached by the other or you may be loyal to your cult (kind of unfair to let all your hard work be wasted). With that in mind, invitation to join a cult may be declined if you are already part of another cult. This may originally seem unbalanced BUT you are then immediately recognised as in the opposing cult to the requesting cult. Sound like a good balancer.

Next major problem is the lack of town power. If town were granted many power roles then the cult would become over powered once they are converted. If we allow town power roles, and the power roles are lost once joining the cult then that is fair. It also means a cop will be forced into the same 'cannot outright say' rules as the cults, as they will simply be recruited next night.

Early game sucks for cult. There are really slow to get moving and any poached starting members will know the leaders identity (as those two will be the only ones in). Considered having each cult start with a leader and non leader (though this isn't so much a fix and more a fast starter). I don't really like the idea because town gets outnumbered even faster, but I'm putting in for argument sake.

This is what I would like most input on:

Things I'm not too sure about is the amount of power to give town. Too much and the cults suffer. Too little and town doesn't stand a chance. (The latter I don't mind). At some point people might want to admit they are still town with the intent of being recruited into a 'winning' team. Secondly town can be seen to win if the cult wins because they will have no option but to join the cult in end game.
My current plan is to have a single cop (or maybe two) that, once recruited, passes on there power and a list of every nights discoveries to a random town player. This is good as it passes information AND keeps power in towns domain.
Town may need a similar x-shot vigilante type role but I'm undecided on that one. Keeping all kills to the day phase, and it simplifies the game a lot. If I do add this then I'd not say whether or not it exists in the set up. Value is open to argument in this thread.

Playing with the letter of acceptance thing (where you can accept or decline cult), power roles may deserve this option as well. Decline and say, "Sorry I can not make your meetings as I am busy at night." This could be ambiguous for the requesting cult as to whether they are town PR (power role) or cult. Which again is a twist I like. But again that is limiting cult early game. (Late game town is weak enough that anyone declining is basically accepting a failed team).

EARLY GAME SUCKS FOR CULT AND LATE GAME SUCKS FOR TOWN. That's not something I'm trying to get around. I'm trying to make the game play well start to finish.

Uhhhh... That's it. During my night of no sleep I had another thought about another theme typed game, but I'll put some more thought into how that would play OUTSIDE of the forum before I bring it up for questioning.

I'm sure after reading all this you feel like Cult rules 65317 after reading that, but please comment like you are this Cult rules 650295

TL;DR: Read or GTFO
Back to top Go down
fweaks
Cyberman
fweaks

Job/hobbies : reading/origami/computer
Dreams of : *SPOILERS*

Cult rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult rules   Cult rules EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:17 pm

ok, ok, some valid points of interest, some offal....

one point that stands out to me. cult is really only meant for larger games. otherwise the player swings happen waaay too fast. this also has a secondary positive effect on fixing the next point

secondly, one way to get around 'cult leader dies and gg son' is to have someone randomly become the backup leader. but like, only have this happen once
Back to top Go down
ScreamingHawk
Potion
ScreamingHawk

Dreams of : your mum

Cult rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult rules   Cult rules EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 9:06 pm

Think it's vital for town to be able to stop the cult growing. Town is pretty bad off in these kinds of games as is. If the leader is killed early then that's just good/bad luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cult rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult rules   Cult rules Empty

Back to top Go down

Cult rules
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mafiaaaah :: Mafia Discussion :: General Mafia Discussion-
Jump to: