Mafiaaaah
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum where we can play mafia.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New Series I've found

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Constrosity
Nurse Joy's Father
Constrosity

Job/hobbies : Reading for hours
Dreams of : Piiinecoones

New Series I've found Empty
PostSubject: New Series I've found   New Series I've found EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 9:22 pm

POST OF DOOM GUYS

Since the supercity got sorted all the library systems are now meshed together now. This lets me get hold of untold numbers of books that I couldnt get before.

SO, here are some of the better ones I've found recently that you really should check out. I'll try to give them small reviews without spoiling too much (hopefully).

Pluto - Naoki Urasawa and Osamu Tezuka

This is a tribute series written for Astroboy. Its basically Astroboy for adults (calm down laurence). It deals with the basic framework of astroboy, human like robots and them coexisting with people. But where Astroboy was designed for children and vaguely alludes to prejudice and things like that, this one really gets into it. Pluto's about the psychology, militant and emotional turmoil that the world is going through after dealing with murders of influential robots worldwide.

Art's really nice and the characters are pretty engaging. In the first volume theres an old man that really tugs at the ol' heart strings. So yeah, worth a read.

Battle Royale

This is a series about a 9th grade (its our equivelant of yr12-13) class that gets drawn into a government controlled TV show called "The Program". This is a show in which the class is abducted and sent to a remote island, they all recieve weapons and field gear and are told that only one person is to survive ater 24 hours or they all die. Theres a whole lot of rules that get fed to them and instructions for the game but essentially its kill or be killed.
The book follows several of the students as they deal with their scenario and tells you their backstories.

The art is really detailed, quite different to a lot of other manga series. But the key thing you need to know if you're going to read it is that its really graphic. People get shot in the head and you see bits of brains and eyes popping out and stuff. Its really brutal. Theres a bit of sex in there but its not that major so you can kinda ignore it.

If you can get past the graphic-ness of it then you'll love it. Its a really good series, I'm up to book 9 I think. So yeah I'd reccomend it so long as you arent too squeemish.

Chobits

Chloe will tell you this series is awesome. Basically, human shaped computers called Persocoms are a common sight in the world at this time. The protagonist Hideki finds a persocom in the trash and takes it home. The persocom is called Chi and is somehow functioning without any operating system or AI.

Cant go too much more into it than that really. But yeah, art's great, some of its pretty cartoon-y but its not to bad. I'd reccomend this.

Pandora Hearts

Not too sure on the plot of this one yet myself but from what I can gather its a kind of multidimensional actiony type manga. The main character finds himself in another world filled with demon things that are trying to kill him. After meeting up with a girl called Rabbit-B he ends up back in there and has to fight for his life.

Its kinda complex but its apparently based loosely on Alice in Wonderland. The art is amazing and its really fun to read. This one you should really check out.

Akira

This one is one I'm also not too sure on the plot of yet, but it seems to be about a city called Neo-Tokyo built around a bomb site that wiped out the entire sity 30 years ago. There are two factions warring off with eachother to get hold of an object called Akira, which they believe could be the thing which destroyed Tokyo in the past. The antagonist Tetsou has a motorbike accident at the beginning of the book when he sees a child with an old man's face in the road who dissappears after the accident. This puts him in hospital for weeks. When he gets out crazy ooruo goes down...its pretty nuts.

Art isn't amazing, looks more like old Dragonball art than other manga but the story is pretty cool.

And finally
Spice and Wolf

This one is set in medieval-esque times and is about a merchant called Lawrence who travels to a town to trade wheat and furs. When he leaves and goes to sleep in his wagon he finds a girl with dog ears and a tail in asleep. She introduces herself as the wolf spirit who watches over the crops growing in the area. They travel together and start chasing after this fluctuation in the silver quantity in the money and so on.

The art is lovely. Its just a really sweet series. The story isnt really exciting but its still really fun to follow because of the characters and the art, it feels really sincere and properly in relation to the time period its set in.

I would really reccomend this last one, its so lovely.

Right, theres my post of doom. Theres more too come in coming days don't you worry.
Back to top Go down
Lancestrike
Stop Triple Posting Laurence
Lancestrike

Job/hobbies : Produce trainee ;D
Dreams of : Squall/Celty/Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: New Series I've found   New Series I've found EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Hey I'm reading battle royale too :3
Back to top Go down
Constrosity
Nurse Joy's Father
Constrosity

PostSubject: Re: New Series I've found   New Series I've found EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 9:56 pm

Its good eh? Where are you up to?
Back to top Go down
Lancestrike
Lancestrike

PostSubject: Re: New Series I've found   New Series I've found EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 10:29 pm

Erm... Like chapter2?
Back to top Go down
pizza-la
MEGA. ULTRA. CHICKEN.
MEGA. ULTRA. CHICKEN.
pizza-la

Dreams of : mysterious pink

PostSubject: Re: New Series I've found   New Series I've found EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 2:35 pm

CHOBITS READ IT!!!!

actually, i pretty much like anything from CLAMP. Although some of their stuff tends to get a bit dark and gory... its very good though <3
Back to top Go down
Constrosity
Nurse Joy's Father
Constrosity

PostSubject: Re: New Series I've found   New Series I've found EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 7:40 pm

@Laurence, fair enough

@Sterling, yes! Clamp is so good...untill it gets really confusing and messed up (see Tsubasa)
Back to top Go down
Lancestrike
Lancestrike

PostSubject: Re: New Series I've found   New Series I've found EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 8:20 pm

It got put on hold after I dl'd some more suzuka
Back to top Go down
Leaf Master FRINGE
Of Unknown Origins
Leaf Master FRINGE

Job/hobbies : I'M A GHOSTBUSTER BABY!!!!! WOOOOO
Dreams of : Catching all the pokemon in the world >.<

PostSubject: Re: New Series I've found   New Series I've found EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:32 am

man battle royal is intenese, im up to ch 64 and damn it's brutal XP
Back to top Go down
pizza-la
MEGA. ULTRA. CHICKEN.
MEGA. ULTRA. CHICKEN.
pizza-la

PostSubject: Re: New Series I've found   New Series I've found EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 4:10 pm

connor- Tsubasa got to the point were it was ridiculous and i preferred XXXholic more...

what else have you read from clamp?
Back to top Go down
Constrosity
Nurse Joy's Father
Constrosity

PostSubject: Re: New Series I've found   New Series I've found EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Yeah, I got to issue...24? Then everything just started going crazy and I stopped.

The only things from Clamp I've read are; Chobits, tsubasa and xxxHolic...maybe some other stuff but thats all I can remember off hand.

Know any other god ones?
Back to top Go down
pizza-la
MEGA. ULTRA. CHICKEN.
MEGA. ULTRA. CHICKEN.
pizza-la

PostSubject: Re: New Series I've found   New Series I've found EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 9:47 pm

try reading the cardcaptors series... i dont know if you've seen the anime or something when you were young, but the manga is way different and so much better imo. erm, you might wanna try the X/1999 series too. i only read like the first few, but theres lots of murder and ripping apart of peoples, just for a heads up. THEY HAVE KAMUI!!! the vampire dude guy from tsubasa? yeah, he was cool.

Ive read a few of their miniseries too though their proper series and stuff are better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Series I've found   New Series I've found Empty

Back to top Go down

New Series I've found
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mafiaaaah :: General Discussion :: Anime/Manga~!-
Jump to: